Friday, December 12, 2008

The Dunedin Street Busker

So right before I left Fresno, before coming to New Zealand, I jokingly said that maybe I'll have to sing and play my guitar on the streets for money just to make it by. Well, what was meant to be a funny, sarcastic statement has now become a reality for me. I am still working at the Lone Star but the hours I get from five days of work have significantly been reduced, putting me in a rough spot financially. It's also not really convenient to look for another job because I'm coming home just before Christmas.

About three weeks ago I grabbed my guitar and headed out to one of the prime busking spots. Busking or buskers are what they call street musicians/performers over here. You know the guy who goes around hammering a giant nail up his nose or the Michael Jackson impersonator who busts out wild dance moves as he cranks the volume on his $3o dollar boom box? That's me, I'm that guy, the weirdo! The first time I went busking I was really nervous to the point I almost backed out. I had my guitar in hand and when I got to "the spot" I slowly put my guitar down and began to unzip the case. What am I doing, what am I doing , what am I doing is all that was going through my mind. Anyway, I strapped on my guitar and with little or no hesitation just started belting out some songs in this little walkway between the mall and a major supermarket. An hour and a half later a was walking away with a whopping $31 dollars. After getting the butterflies out and realizing that busking paid better than my real job, I've made an effort to get out a couple times a week. This last Tuesday I made over $80 dollars in two hours and made about the same on Thursday. I'm actually having a lot of fun now going out and busking and have even got to share my faith with several people in the process. Typically I play a few cover songs that people most likely know or have heard before then I'll sneak in some worship songs because that's what I enjoy playing most.

The overall responses I've received from people passing by has been very positive and encouraging so it makes it fun and worth while. It's pretty hilarious when I see people I know! I'll stop and talk for a little bit with them but it can also be a little awkward sometimes, as you can imagine.

On a separate note, I'm really looking forward to spending Christmas with my family and friends back home in Fresno. For those who have been following my blog I am especially grateful. Your prayers and support have blessed me in so many ways! I hope you have seen the hand of God moving in my life and have been encouraged to see all the He has done for me over here in NZ. When I arrive back in Fresno the journey continues because I have no idea what the next step will be for my life. Please continue to keep me in your prayers, specifically that God will give me guidance and that His purpose for my life will be fulfilled.

May the joy of Christmas fill your hearts this holiday season! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

8And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.

Luke 2:8-11

No comments:

Post a Comment