Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dunedin Sucks! (at least that's what the locals tell me)

What a great week it has been, incredible! Last Sunday night after church I went camping with my good mates Ben and Pete to one of our favorite surf spots called Purakanui. Now Pete arrived a few hours before Ben and me to set things up and catch a few waves before the sun went down. When Ben and I finally arrived at Purakanui it was dark and difficult to see apart from the moonlight fighting its way through the overcast sky to light up the white sand. After a few yelps and Chewbacca calls we managed to find Pete with the tent all set up and a hot chicken curry ready to be devoured, perfect timing. The location of our campsite was surreal! Imagine a strip of land extending into the ocean about 200 feet and at the very edge of it a 50 foot cliff. Our tent was placed on a soft bed of grass at the very edge of this cliff with the ocean waves crashing all around us including the rocks below. Words can't describe just how amazing this place is and because there wasn't much light it was hard to get a picture that could capture the splendor and beauty of what we were experiencing. After enjoying the amazing feed that Pete had prepared, we made pot of hot chocolate and sat at the edge of the cliff singing worship songs. Surprisingly I slept like a champ that night, apart from a train that passed by at around 3 in the morning. We woke up early the next morning before the sun came up, packed up all our camping gear and took it down to the cars, then we put on our wetsuits and paddled out for what ended up being one of the best surf sessions I have had so far here in NZ. The rest of the week was pretty good as well. On Tuesday and Thursday night me and some of the fellas from work rocked out with our guitars and had a great time playing, singing and making up songs. Wednesday afternoon I got to go surfing with Will at Blackhead beach and came back just in time to play some turf soccer. After soccer I had life group where we ended up just watching a movie and playing Rockband. Saturday was the hottest it has been since I've been here in NZ, a whopping 87 degrees! It was so hot on Saturday that Jude and I decided to go to the beach and brave the cold water without a wetsuit. We actually stayed in the water for a pretty long time and also managed to catch a couple nice rides on a boogie board we were sharing. Later that night, when I got off work, I played poker with my flatmates which was a ton of fun, especially since I came out on top. After church today, I went with Jude to his parents place and had lunch with him and his family outside on their beautiful deck.
I am so thankful for all the experiences I have had over here! Everyday there is something new and exciting to do. This week I've decided that I'm going to get a permit that will allow me to go busking (street performer) here in Dunedin. I have a feeling there will be some good stories to share on my next update, ha ha, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to
offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your
spiritual act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this
world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to
test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:1-2








3 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, I miss you so much! I was working with Buzz today helping him get the snow village out of the attic (since I have nothing else to do) ha ha and it looks like you will be home in time for the annual Carlson/Beery Christmas sing along! Better be practicing your caroling skills... ha ha. I miss you bro and I will see you later. OH by the way yesterday was my birthday and I dont remember getting an email from you. Tell you what I will give you to the 23 of next month to bring me something nice. Hmmmm. I love you brohem. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too Chad! Happy Birthday brohym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuck yer god dick head. Some cunt somewhere is suffering, and their god aint listening. Feel better punk?

    ReplyDelete