Friday, January 9, 2009

California Here I Come Right Back Where I Started From

Well I've been back in the States for almost a month now and his has been pretty full on! My family had rented a cabin up in Shaver for the weekend before Christmas (Dec 18-21) and was really disappointed that I wasn't going to be there for it. You see, my family wasn't expecting me until the 23rd because that was what day my plane was initially scheduled to arrive. Little did they know that I had a little surprise in store for them. Thanks to the friendly folks of New Zealand, I made enough money busking to change my plane ticket to arrive a week early on the 17th. My best friend Erik picked me up from LAX and I stayed with him in Santa Monica for a night. On the 18th, Erik drove me all the way to Fresno. After dropping some luggage off at my parents house, everyone was already up at the cabin, we drove to Shaver to surprise my family. I knew how to find the cabin because I had casually asked my sister Alysson if I could see pictures of where they would be staying. Aly ended up sending me a link to the website with not only pictures but the address also. HA HA, she had no clue!

So we pulled up to the cabin and Erik let me out. I knocked on the door and turned around so that whoever answered would only see the back of my giant white poof jacket I was wearing. My brother Josh answered the door and I wish I could have seen his face, I'm sure he felt puzzled and confused. After a short pause, he said in a hopeful voice, NO, NO WAY! Josh then called out for me to turn around and then the anticipation really grew with more family members approaching the scene to see what was going on. After a standoff which probably only lasted a minute or two but felt like an eternity, I turned around! YEEAAAAAAHHHH! I went up to Josh and gave him a big hug! Screams of joy and excitement began to fill the house and family members, many having no clue as to what was going on, started to gather from all around the three story vacation rental to the front door! It was the perfect surprise! The next hour was filled with hugs, kisses, picture taking and people stilling my hat. I have such an amazing family and I was overwhelmed with excitement myself seeing all my brothers, sisters, nieces, nephew, grandparents along with my aunt Jan and her boyfriend Doug. That night is definitely one I will never forget! Spending that weekend with my family was one of the most special times in my life, and of course a ton of fun. That weekend I got to go snowboarding, I ate some AMAZING food, had an all out "HALO" war on the XBOX with the Bros, watched movies, sang Christmas carols, had nightly devotions as a family and of course just talked and caught up with all that has been going on with everyone in my family. Wow, what a way to begin life back in the US.

Because we celebrated Christmas a little early this year, Christmas day was actually pretty mellow. My brothers Josh and Chad are married and my other brother Joel is engaged, so everyone was kind of scattered around town this year. Alysson and I had a nice quiet day with mom and dad and just relaxed a little bit. We did get most of the family together that night though, we played "Four on a Coach" and watched a movie.

The very next day my brother Chad and I took off for the coast. We packed up my surfboards and an ice chest along with some camping gear. We spent the weekend camping at a beautiful little campground in Montana De Oro and just had a blast. Chad had never really been surfing before and he just dominated out there in the water. We surfed three days straight and each day we were in the water well over two hours. My good friend Matt Owens surprised me at our campsite on Saturday morning and spent the day surfing and hanging out with us. From Morro Bay to Cayucas to Pismo, we just about did it all including eating at one of my favorite places, "The Splash Cafe", where they have the BEST clam chowder. We got home from our trip just in time for me to make the 7pm church service at the Well.

The following Tuesday, December 30th, I again left Fresno with my good mates Anthony and Nick for the little town of Hollister. Anthony was to be married on Saturday and Nick is his fiances brother and best man. I was one of the groomsmen and once again playing the role of wedding singer, performing "All I Need", by Shawn McDonald. Another amazing week to say the least. Both the Francis' (Anthony's side) and the Vandenburg's (Nicks family) were so much fun to be around and every waking moment was filled with nonstop action and excitement. Needless to say I had a fantastic new years and had a great time being apart of a truly spectacular wedding. Congratulations, Anthony and Rose!

Thank you God for allowing me the opportunity to move to NZ, meet some amazing people, have many incredible experiences, make lasting memories, and grow in my faith with you my Lord and King! You have blessed me beyond anything I can imagine or deserve and to you I surrender all that I am. As I approach this new chapter of my life back in Fresno, help me to honor you in all that I do. Give me the strength to trust in you as I continue to seek after your will and purpose for my life. All glory, honor and praise to you alone my God, for without you I can do NOTHING! AMEN!


No comments:

Post a Comment