Friday, August 29, 2008

Mid Semester Break Part 1



What a week it has been! After many weeks of attending and observing different churches here in Dunedin I have ended up right where I started, at DCBC. I feel this is where God wants me to be and to serve. On Tuesday I met with Matthew Scott, the worship pastor at DCBC, about getting involved on a worship team. After talking with Matthew he decided to give me the freedom to form my own team and be added as a regular worship leader for the Sunday evening service. Praise God! I am so excited about serving at DCBC and can't wait to see how God uses me at this church. Please pray that God will provide the right people to serve alongside me as I form my team and that I can effectively lead His people here.


Wednesday was a big day for me, I left Dunedin for the very first time! Zac and I made some last minute plans to take a road trip, being this week is mid-semester break and Uni is out. We decided to go visit his sister on her farm in Winton, about 2 hours away and then go snowboard at a nearby ski field. Zac let me drive most of the time by the way which made traveling a lot more exciting and fun! Justus, Zac's brother just started working on the farm last week. It is the busiest season for dairy farmers right now and Zac's sister and her husband were looking for some extra help. I always wanted to spend a day on a dairy farm so when I arrived I told Justus to show me around. After putting on some blue coveralls and gumboots, Justus and I hopped on a quad and we went to go do some farm work. The first farm duty we set out to accomplish was measuring the grass height in each of the pallets (section of field that the cows graze in). Attached to the back of the quad was a metal contraption with rubber tires. As we drove across each palette it would measure the average height of grass. It didn't really make much sense to me why we were doing this but I later found out that this information is very important so that the farmer knows which pallet to have the cows graze in. After measuring grass for about an hour we made our way to where the cows were being milked. Each cow would load onto this milking merry-go-round thing and then the farm workers, including myself, would try and attach a four fingered suction apparatus to the teats of the cow. Easier said than done! The cows seemed to have their own competition going for who could make the biggest cow pie. Not only that but the cows would often kick backwards to try and take you out. Lets just say I have a greater appreciation when I drink milk now! After putting in some good hours on the farm I had myself a good feed, played some Ticket To Ride and went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Oooo Gross! Joel you're totally right, that's definately not chocolate pudding on my neck. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a code brown.

    ReplyDelete